Thanks to Barry Nottage for this one. The petition was hand written on parchment in 1901 and addressed to the House of Lords encouraging them to allow a greater distribution of electricity.
They comment that it is almost impossible to access electricity in the village, even for lighting. They suggest that the supply of electricity could greatly benefit the industries in the village, presumably referring to the many boot factories which were operating in the village. Power at this time would have been limited to water of paraffin powered machinery. To read the petition click on the following link